In honor of today’s date: 9-9-09, I’m offering a list of 9 reasons why I am thankful to be a care giver.
One of the reasons that I felt compelled to make this list is because I was having “one of those days”. I laundered my father’s wallet with his beige pants ( yes, I am now a money launderer!) I could have SWORN I checked that pocket ! I then took a bubble bath and conditioned my hair with anti-wrinkle cream (no, it didn’t straighten my hair any further) and so I had to REwash my hair. The list goes on….
And so to remind myself that I have much to be grateful for, I offer these nine reasons why I am thankful to be able to care for my father at home.
1. I have gotten the chance to know him as a person, not just a father.
2. I have grown as a nurse by gaining a whole new area of expertise.
3. I have also grown as a person by learning that it’s useless to argue with a dementia patient; patience is imperative and I must be gentle with him and myself, as well.
4. I am responsible for giving him his medications and feel that with him being my only “patient”, he will receive the correct medications, the correct dosage and at the correct time.
5. I am thankful that he gets to have a glass of wine ( albeit diluted ) with dinner each evening.
6. I am grateful that the people who are providing his care love him or are aware that someone who loves him is watching their actions.
7. I am happy that he can sit outside in the yard and watch the birds flitter in and out of the birdhouses that he made with his own hands.
8. I am grateful that I am able to accompany him to his physician appointments and understand their language so that I can put it to use in his care.
9. I am thankful that he is not with strangers during his last days and that when he passes, I will feel that I have done all that I could have to make the end of his life pleasant.
What are you thankful for in your life as a care giver?
LEARN TO LOVE YOUR LIFE AGAIN
Do you feel like you need to hit the REFRESH button on your life? Download our free guide and begin to create your best life yet!